NB Muleless

NB Muleless
Moored at Alrewas Sept 2013

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Party Time!!!!

We had a terrific sunset the Saturday night at the lift bridge mooring – my picture doesn't really do it justice!


On Sunday, we pulled pins and set off on another hot day. When we arrived at Allens Lock by Upper Heyford these dogs were having a good cool down in the overspill weir!


At Heyford Wharf all the holiday boats were out – school holidays must be upon us!!


We moored up on our nice spot above Dashwood Lock, and when it was a bit cooler, went for a walk to Northbrook Bridge (No. 210) – we had tried to get across it before – but it is only accessed from non-towpath side, so we had to find the cross country route!


The original “packhorse bridge” crosses the River Cherwell, and the later canal bridge that joins it was built in the same style (the canal bridge can’t be seen in this shot – it is past the tree on the left.

Next morning, shortly after setting off, we went under the canal part of the bridge – the river is to the right behind the trees!


Another hot day saw us mooring up at the Quarry after just 1 hr 40 mins! (long enough to put the last nights use back into the batteries!


We decided it was time we walked into Kirtlington Village, which is just behind the quarry – to see what the pub and village shop were like!

It is a very pretty village, with a very small village shop, a hotel (with bar) and the Oxford Arms Pub (which was more of a bistro!)


Tuesday dawned as another hot day, and as I was eating my breakfast Gary gave a shout from the stern “Jam Butty approaching”!

Surely not, I thought, last time I checked the blog they were at Cropredy and I thought they were stopping for the Banbury waterside market!

I grabbed the camera and managed to get a shot of Captain Ahab, Wand’ring Bark and the Jam Butty as they passed us by!


Our destination today was Thrupp, about 2 and a half hours away, so not too much hanging about saw us move off about 10.40. A pleasant run with only 3 locks to do and quite a bit of shade from all the trees.

As we passed the Rock of Gibraltar Pub at Enslow we saw this example of how not to tie up a boat – hope no-one tripped over the rope!


Then there was the hazard of the boat moored just passed the bridge – not a lot of room  to pass!


We were soon approaching Thrupp services, and pulled in to fill up with water!


We wanted to stay at Thrupp till after my Birthday, so whilst we topped up the water tank, Gary checked on moorings – and luckily there was a nice spot just our size just one boat down from the lift bridge.

We didn't fill the water tank completely, as with other boats approaching we decided to move into the spot before some one else did!

We were soon settled onto our spot, chairs and brolly were deployed and I made some lunch.

I had earlier sent an email and then a text to Doug and James on NB Chance, as I knew they were heading towards Thrupp and we wanted to catch up with them as we last saw them in Leicester last September, when we left MGM for our great adventure on Muleless.

Just as we were finishing our lunch I received a reply – there was an open house on Chance if we wanted to pop along and join in!

We were soon heading up the line of moored boats looking for the famous blue boat. We were welcomed in – and guess who else was there – Capt Ahab (Andy), Helen (Mrs Ahab!) and Maffi! and very shortly after, other friends of Doug and James, Rich and Andy from NB Carpe Diem – we had a very full house!


The wine flowed, the company was terrific and we had a fabulous afternoon – which then turned into evening! After being shown The Jam Butty up close and having a tour of Carpe Diem, all boats contributed more wine and food and Doug whipped up a feast for us all to share!


Some more pictures borrowed from Chance and Capt Ahab blogs.

Chance againP1050071[5]

Wednesday morning Maffi had offered to take Doug and Gary down to Sainsburys – as supplies of wine were running really low! (We understand there were 15 empty bottles taken to the bottle bank that morning – they must have been saving them up!) and no sooner had they returned than Carpe Diem and Chance pulled pins – on a mission to reach The Great Western Pub at Anhyo for dinner that night.

Hope to catch up again soon guys!



Andy and Helen with the Jam Butty had headed off to Oxford earlier too.

As it was another scorching day, we soon had the chairs and brolly out and relaxed after the hectic “party” the day before.

As evening approached, Maffi and Molly joined us for a drink and we put the world to rights until well after dark!

Thursday we needed a lay-in to recuperate (again!) and then spent a couple of hours sat by the boat just relaxing. We had decided to visit Annie’s Tea Room during the afternoon, and as we headed off we bumped into Maffi again. As we chatted he told us that The Jam Butty was heading back and would be arriving shortly, so we hung about to say hello when they arrived.

Of course, since they were hot and thirsty after their trip we all thought it would be a good idea to pop into the Boat Inn for a cooling drink – so Annie’s was put on hold!


Some time later, as Andy and Helen had to pick some plums from the front garden of the pub, and we had to nip to the shop for some milk, we agreed to meet up at our boat later – for more drinks!

Of course Maffi and Molly were invited too and everyone duly arrived.

Andy had come via the Elsan point, and Helen was helping Maffi bring his table and chairs over – and Maffi was supplying Cheese and Wine!


We had soon organised the goodies, and yet another fabulous evening unfolded.


Of course Maffi made sure Molly wasnt left out!


We waved Helen and Andy off in the morning. Thanks for a lovely evening guys, look forward to meeting up again sometime!

Friday was the day we were visiting Oxford for my special Birthday treat!

We caught the bus (slightly later than intended!) and arrived in time to get some delicious filled baguettes for lunch before the main event – a trip to the cinema to see the latest Transformers movie!

The film was great, despite the hiccup of being played in 3D first – staff were told and they soon had the 2D version showing!

After the movie we had a walk around – first heading down towards the bottom of the Oxford Canal and Isis Lock.


The canal is on the left and behind, and beyond Isis lock is the Thames! (Sharp right turn needed here).

After stopping off for a cooling drink, we wandered around a bit looking at some of the more famous sites of Oxford (or of Morse or Lewis fame).


It was really busy with loads of foreign tourists about, so we were glad to catch the bus back to the quiet of Thrupp. (Last bus back was at 7.15pm)

We got off the bus close to The Highwayman Pub, so thought it was time to try them out, and as the Spice House Indian Restaurant is based inside we had a lovely indian meal and then walked back to the boat, totally full!

Saturday we needed some serious relaxation after the bustle of Oxford, but in the afternoon we finally got round to visiting Annies Tea Room – and had some fantastic sandwiches and I was allowed to have a scone with cream and jam!

In the evening Maffi came past and invited us along to the pub – I was feeling way too tired, so opted for a quiet couple of hours watching TV, but Gary went along and was treated to some really good guitar playing by Maffi and some others!

Sunday arrived – my Birthday – 21 again!!! More relaxation was required before we headed off to the Boat Inn for Sunday Carvery – which we enjoyed and then staggered back to the boat and decided that a walk was in order.

Maffi said we could take Molly with us, so we followed the path down to Thrupp “beach” were Gary and Molly had loads of fun splashing about and chasing sticks!


We returned Molly to Maffi very wet and tired, and headed back to the boat. It had cooled down quite a bit, but that didnt stop us sitting out with our most recent “neighbours” for yet more drinks!


Andy and Di from NB Fenakapan have been leapfrogging us for the last couple of months, but this was the first time we had a proper get together. They are heading for the Kennet and Avon and eventually Bristol.

They make and sell country wines on their narrowboat, so if you see them make sure you pop along for a “taster”.


Thanks for a great evening guys, we hope to meet up again some time!

So at last, this morning, it was time to leave Thrupp, after a week of almost continuous partying!

Gary reversed Muleless back under the lift bridge and on to the service point.


We needed to fill the water tank and get a pump out, so it took a while!


I popped down to the shop for some essential supplies whilst the water tank filled, and Gary chatted to Dan and Pickles,


and Maffi and Molly (who of course had to help some one with the lift bridge!)


We said goodbye to everyone and at last left Thrupp – but we will be back!

As we passed the moored boats at Enslow there was a tree down – it had been partly cleared, but more work was needed, there is only just room to pass and the canal is really shallow – we almost got stuck on the mud!


Just a short distance further on we passed this lift bridge – brickwork hanging by a thread!


and just a short distance after that, we came across this hireboat pretending it was a speedboat!


We moored up at the Quarry again – and organised a BBQ tea. One of the Thrupp dayboats came by – and all its passengers were sat on the roof (about 10!) – the steerer couldn't see over the boat at all! You can definitely tell it is peak season now.

Well that’s us caught up on the blog again – I really must try harder to blog more frequently!

1 comment:

  1. Haha........great blog, and Thrupp does have that kind of effect on you doesn't it.....not sure why but a very nice place to be......A belated hapy birthday to you Della, and say hi to Andy from us both.
    Rob and Suzie (Swamp Frogs)